Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Transitions

Last night was a big night in our household. We have begun to transition the little guy from sleeping in our room into sleeping in his own room. This is how it went: We had to order a new monitor because the one we had was total crap. So, Finally yesterday the new monitor came in! of course the monitor came in around bedtime so we didn't really have much time to play with it before it was in full swing. I did our normal nightly routine except insead of going into our bed to nurse I went int the nursery to use the nursing chair. I then placed him in the crib when he was still awake - and left the room! phew! that went well! I pretty much clutched the monitor until I went to bed.
we actually didn't end up going to bed until 12:30 because our cat was really upset, she didn't know where the baby was. She was crying in our room and we had to keep comforting her! not at all what I expected to happen with the change.
Finally we fall asleep and the little dude wakes up!!! he really only sleeps for 5-6 hours then wakes up and wants to nurse. I say during that first wake it is almost like he breaks his seal becuase afte that wake he wakes every 1-2 hours. He stayed in his crib until about 2:30 then I put him back in our room. I am guessing this transition is not going to happen overnight (pun intended?).
My plan is, once I get him to stay in his room all night I will start to limit the nightly feedings to encourage him to sleep for a longer span of time. I feel that he is getting older now and we are about to start solid foods so it is a good time to try to eliminate the nightly feedings. But I will be careful to follow his cues, because I am aware that some babies are hungry and they do need to eat at night. I will certainly feed my baby if he is hungry and will not withhold nursing just to sleep! I hope that the solid foods will help decrease the nursing because we still nurse about 9-10 times a day!!! doctor said we could be down to 6!!!
Anyway I will keep posted about our progress (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment