Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

What Is A Good Mother?

Ok ok - I am not very good at this keeping up with the blog thing. I will try to do better.
I was just reading an interesting article on the amount of judgement and criticism many mothers face in our western culture. Some of the criticism I hear has alot to do with sleeping, vaccinations, and breastfeeding. Luckily I am able to trust my instincts as a mother and let go of the rest. But I am not going to lie, sometimes I find myself being the critical one more often then I would like to admit.
I like to think that I am a good mother. I have heard a few times from family and friends that I am a good mother and you know what I believe them! The problem I tend to have is that I can be quick to judge other moms who perhaps don't parent the way that I think parenting should be done. While I may still really like the mother as a person I can have a difficult time differentiating that from our different parenting styles.
I take being a mother very seriously. I try to educate myself as much as I can on certain topics and take steps to be proactive in the sense of aiding my child in development the best I can. I have a hard time when I see mothers doing the opposite of all the things I read that is good and healthy for a child. Today I am going to challange myself to try to look past the differences and embrace the similarties. Something to remember is that I am not their shoes. I dont know what a paticular family is going through, maybe they can't afford organic or they don't understand about the amount of chemicals in many of the baby products and toys on the marke. One thing that I can rest assure is that no matter what the most important thing is to continue to do the best for my child and I know that for me to work on being less judgemental and more open minded is best for my child. Teaching compassion and understanding is vital in this dog eat dog world and I plan on starting today!

1 comment:

  1. Carly, this is an amazing post. Thank you for reminding me of this! I wish we lived closer, because it seems like we have a lot in common. I struggle with this very thing myself. I wish more people could see things this way because I feel like I'm being judged sometimes for doing what I feel is only natural. And I am definitely guilty of judging as well. One of my closest friends here seems like she is the opposite of me on the surface (formula feeding, etc.) but once I got to know her, I found out we really do have the same goals in mind for our kids and have both learned from one another.

    ReplyDelete